Prince Harry and Meghan Markle learned world leaders and foreign royals were “uninvited” from a state reception after reading press reports, multiple sources tell Page Six.
We’re told the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who joined the royal family last week in mourning for Queen Elizabeth II in London, have been invited to Sunday night’s event.
However, a spokesperson for King Charles III confirmed to Page Six that “the invitation is for working members of the royal family only.”
“Harry and Meghan actually got an invitation and no one told them they weren’t invited,” a royal source tells us.
Another palace insider adds, ‘I’m told they found out they weren’t invited by reading the press reports.’
President Joe Biden, French President Emmanuel Macron and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau are among the heads of state attending a reception hosted by Charles and Queen Consort Camilla ahead of the Queen’s funeral on Monday.
The Prince and Princess of Wales, the Princess Royal and the Earl and Countess of Wessex will also welcome guests at the Buckingham Palace reception.
Amidst the chaos, Harry will join his brother, Prince William, and their relatives on Saturday night to hold a vigil for the monarch as he lies in state at Westminster Hall. King and his siblings held a vigil on Friday night.
All week, sources close to the Sussexes have been keen to insist the couple will do whatever is asked of them.
Harry – who was stripped of his military titles when he and Markle stepped down from royal duties in January 2020 – is set to not wear his uniform during any events, but after a U-turn from Buckingham Palace, the former military officer will wear his uniform. A vigil on Saturday.